Colonial candle dipping
Friday we woke to a beautiful morning...
of course later it turned nasty...oh Unalaska weather, but we had a great day anyway continuing our study of colonial times by dipping our own beeswax candles.
A grated the beeswax and then we placed it in an old coffee tin in a pot of simmering hot water to melt.
The process is a long one
...and A realized what a hard job it was in colonial times to light a home. In our 2 hours we made 8 candles...to make enough for a whole family, for a whole year, to use as their main source of light, well...she decided she liked electricity best LOL.
My beautiful colonial girl showing off her finished candles.
We let the candles dry between dips and the smell was wonderful!
The fruits of our labor, lighting the dark.
A beautiful moment.